Chronister, Eric L
Professor of Chemistry
- College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Research Accomplishments and Professional Development:
95 scientific publications.
65 invited seminars and talks.
62 contributed conference presentations.
38 extramural grants (totaling $3.8 million).
- Postdoctor 1985
- Ph.D. Chemical Physics 1985
- University of Illinois
- B.S. Chemistry and General Physics 1980
1997 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research
2002 Senior Scientist Fellowship, French Ministry of Research. Laboratory of Physical Spectrometry, University of Grenoble and CNRS
2009 American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow, Chemistry
Ultrafast vibrational and electronic dynamics in novel molecular solids under extreme conditions. Ultrafast high-power lasers are used to perform a variety of non-linear coherent spectroscopies as time-resolved probes of molecular dynamics. Variable temperature (e.g. 1.2 - 1000 K) and diamond anvil techniques are utilized to control intermolecular interactions under extreme temperature and pressure conditions.
Current research areas include dynamic studies and novel applications of molecular solids:
1) Ultrafast vibrational and electronic dynamics in crystalline and amorphous molecular solids under extreme pressure and temperature conditions. Diamond anvil high pressure cells (~100,000 atm) are used to alter intermolecular distances, while picosecond coherent anti-Stokes Raman and photon echo spectroscopies are used to probe energy relaxation and dephasing in molecular solids.
(2) Dynamics of organically doped sol-gel glasses, and development of sol-gel clad fiber optic sensors. The molecular dynamics (e.g. energy transfer and rotational motion), optical response (e.g. fast optical switching), and chemical sensor characteristics of these unique porous glasses are being investigated.
(3) Transient acoustic grating measurements at simultaneous high-pressure and high-temperature. Optically induced acoustic waves probe elastic constants and the equation of state of technologically relevant materials under high pressure.
Selected Publications (92 total):
6. E. L. Chronister, J. R. Hill and D. D. Dlott, "Deuterium Isotope Effect on Vibrational Dynamics in Molecular Crystals: Picosecond Experiments on Variously Deuterated Naphthalenes." Journal de Chimie Physique, 82, 159-168 (1985).
10. E. L. Chronister, T. C. Corcoran, L. Song and M. A. El-Sayed, "On the Molecular Mechanisms of the Schiff Base Deprotonation During the Bacteriorhodpsin Photocycle." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 83, 8580-8584 (1986).
16. R. J. St. Pierre, E. L. Chronister, L. Long and M. A. El-Sayed, "Reactivity of Gas Phase Niobium Clusters Toward Several Cyclic Hydrocarbons." Journal of Physical Chemistry, 91, 4648-4651 (1987).
17. J. R. Hill, E. L. Chronister, T-C. Chang, H. Kim, J. C. Postlewaite and D. D. Dlott, "Vibrational Relaxation and Vibrational Cooling in Low Temperature Molecular Crystals." Journal of Chemical Physics, 88, 949-967 (1988).
21. E. L. Chronister and T. H. Morton, "Internal Energy Effects on Ion-Neutral Complexes from Unimolecular Dissociation of n-Propyl Phenyl Ether Radical Cations." Journal of the American Chemical Society, 112, 133-139 (1990).
24. E. L. Chronister and R. A. Crowell, "Time-Resolved Coherent Raman Spectroscopy of Low Temperature Molecular Solids in a High Pressure Diamond Anvil Cell." Chemical Physics Letters, 182, 27-34 (1991).
31. Drew L'Espérance and Eric L. Chronister, "Optical Energy Transfer in Quinizarin Doped Sol-Gel Glasses," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 9, 2041-2046 (1992).
34. R. A. Crowell and E. L. Chronister, "A Picosecond Raman Study of Vibrational Relaxation in Naphthalene at High Pressure and Low Temperature," Journal of Physical Chemistry, 96, 9660-9666 (1992).
35. D. L'Espérance and E. L. Chronister, "Rotational dynamics of quinizarin in silicate and aluminosilicate solutions, gels, and glasses," Chemical Physics Letters, 201, 229-235 (1993).
47. Drew L'Espérance and Eric L. Chronister, "Dispersive Electronic Energy Transfer in an Organically Doped Xerogel Glass," Chemical Physics, 195, 387-393 (1995).
49. Bruce J. Baer and Eric L. Chronister, "Temperature and Pressure Dependent Optical Dephasing of Pentacene in Triclinic and Monoclinic Para-terphenyl," Journal of Physical Chemistry, 99, 7324-7329 (1995).
53. Bruce J. Baer, Eric L. Chronister, "Temperature Dependent Optical Dephasing in Sol-Gel Glasses: photon echo measurements of rhodamine 101 and quinizarin doped aluminosilica xerogels," Journal of Chemical Physics (communication), 103, 9880-9883 (1995).
61. Clarice A. Browne, Darcy H. Tarrant, Marta Olteanu, Joseph W. Mullens, and Eric L. Chronister, "Intrinsic Sol-Gel Clad Fiber Optic Sensors with Time-Resolved Detection," Analytical Chemistry, 68, 2289-2295 (1996).
63. Selezion Hambir, Jens Franken, David E. Hare, Eric L. Chronister, Bruce J. Baer and Dana D. Dlott, "Ultrahigh time resolution vibrational spectroscopy of shocked molecular solids," Journal of Applied Physics, 81, 2157-2166 (1997).
65. Bruce J. Baer and Eric L. Chronister, "Time-Resolved CARS of the Vibron Lineshape of Crystalline Nitrogen at Low Temperature and High Pressure," Journal of Physical Chemistry, 101, 7024-7028 (1997).
66. B.J. Baer, J.M. Brown, J.M. Zaug, D. Schiferl, E. L. Chronister, “Impulsive stimulated scattering in Ice VI and Ice VII,” Journal of Chemical Physics, 108, 4540-4544 (1998).
68. Otto Berg, Eric L. Chronister, Tomahiro Yamashita, Robert M. Sweet, Joseph Calabrese, Gary W. Scott, “s-Dipentacene: Structure, Spectroscopy, and Temperature- and Pressure- Dependent Photochemistry,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 103, 2451-2459 (1999).
70. Patrick Lloyd, Otto Berg, P. Thiyagarajan, Frans R. Trow, and Eric L. Chronister, “Methane Dynamics in Porous Xerogels Characterized by Small-angle and Quasielastic Neutron Scattering,” Chemical Physics Letters, 328, 203-213 (2000).
72. Liang Zhao, Bruce J. Baer, Masashi Yamaguchi, Ha T. Than, Jory Yarmoff, Eric L. Chronister, "Impulsive Stimulated Scattering of Surface Acoustic Waves on Metal and Semiconductor Crystal Surfaces," Journal of Chemical Physics, 114, 4989-4997 (2001).
76. Junjun Wu, Liang Zhao, Eric L.Chronister, and Sarah H. Tolbert, “Elasticity through Nanoscale Distortions in Periodic Surfactant Templated Porous Silica under High Pressure,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B 106, 5613-5621 (2002).
78. Liang Zhao, Rui Lian, Ilya A. Shkrob, Robert A. Crowell, Stanislas Pommeret, Eric L. Chronister, An Dong Liu, Alexander D.Trifunac, “Ultrafast Studies on the Photophysics of Matrix-Isolated Radical Cations of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons”, Journal of Physical Chemistry A (2004), 108(1), 25-31.
80. Masashi Yamaguchi, Bruce J. Baer, Aliaksandr V. Krukau, Michael J. McIntire, Colm M. Flannery, and Eric L. Chronister*, “An impulsive stimulated scattering study of surface acoustic waves under high pressure”, Journal of Luminescence 107 (2004) 359-368.
82. Michael J. McIntire, Masashi Yamaguchi, Misha A. Kol’chenko, Yuri G. Vanier, and Eric L. Chronister*, “High Pressure Studies of Optical Dephasing in Polymer Glasses”. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 110 (2006) 227-233.
83. Michael J. McIntire and Eric L. Chronister*, “Characterization of tunneling systems in molecular versus polymer glasses by high-pressure photon echo spectroscopy”. Journal of Chemical Physics. 124 (2006) 014904.
85. Bohdan Schatschneider and Eric L. Chronister*, “Molecular dynamics simulations of temperature- and pressure-induced solid-solid phase transitions in crystalline para-terphenyl”, Molecular Simulation, 34, (2008) 1159.
86. Michael McIntire*, Liang Zhao, Valerii Kobryanskii, and Eric Chronister, “High-pressure Raman Spectroscopy of nanoparticle polyacetylene in a poly(vinyl-butyral) marix”. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, Accepted 10 November (2010).
87. Bohdan Schatschneider and Eric L. Chronister*, “Modeling Pressure and Temperature Induced Solid-Solid Phase Transitions in para-terphenyl”. Journal of Physical Chemistry B (2011), 115(3), 407-413.
88. Gregory J.O. Beran, Eric. L. Chronister , Luke L. Daemen, Aaron R. Moehlig, Leonard J. Mueller, Jos Oomens, Andrew Rice, David Santiago-Dieppa, Fook S. Tham, Kelly Theel , Sepideh Yaghmaeia and Thomas Hellman Morton*, “Vibrations of a Chelated Proton in a Protonated Tertiary Diamine”. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics (2011), 13, 20380-20392.
89. Bohdan Schatschneider and Eric L. Chronister*, “Temperature Dependent Vibrational Dynamics in Crystalline para-terphenyl under High Pressure”. Chemical Physics Letters, 533 (2012) 30-34.
90. Sebastian R. Jezowski, Lingyan Zhu, Yaobing Wang, Andrew P. Rice, Gary W. Scott, Christopher J. Bardeen*, Eric L. Chronister*, “Pressure Assisted Bond Dissociation in Anthracene Cyclophane Photodimers”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, (2012), 134, 7459-7466.
91. Nadine Rademacher, Luke L. Daemen, Eric L. Chronister and Thomas Proffen, “Pair Distribution Function Analysis of Molecular Compounds: Significance and New Modeling Approach Discussed on the Example p-Terphenyl”, Journal of Applied Crystallography, (2012), 45, 482-488.
92. Andrew Rice, Fook Tham and Eric Chronister*, “A Temperature Dependent X-ray study of the Order-Disorder Enantiotropic Phase Transition of p-Terphenyl”. Journal of Chemical Crystallography, (2013), 43, 14-25.
93. Andrew P. Rice, Bohdan Schatschneider and Eric L. Chronister*, “Pressure Dependent Molecular Dynamics of Mixed Molecular Crystals: A lattice and local phonon study of pentacene doped para-terphenyl”. Journal of Chemical Physics, (2013) Submitted.
94. Marta S. Fellows Olteanu, Michael McIntire, and Eric L. Chronister*, “Ionic Diffusion and Transport in Silica Sol-Gel Glasses”. Submission to Materials Letters, 2013.
95. Sebastian R. Jezowski, Christopher J. Bardeen*, Eric L. Chronister*, “Pressure Stabilization of 9-tert-butyl-anthracene with Respect to Photochemical Dewar Isomerization”, Submission to Chemical Physics Letters, (2013).